Donnerstag, 30. Januar 2020

4. Ely



The cathedral of Ely (official Homepage)

„The City of Ely offers a wonderful blend of the historic and the modern. Take your time to wander and enjoy the sights or do something energetic or just sit and watch the world go by.“




And that‘s my photo of the cathedral. The weather today is a little bit gloomy and dull.

And now comrades, what is a „cathedral“? Is the seat of a bishop. So that little town with 20.000 inhabitants is a centre of religious life in the region.



Nearby stands the house where Oliver Cromwell lived. With his wife, his mother and 6 children

You remember Oliver Cromwell? His life was really exciting and important for the history of England and UK. You can sea more here.

He was chosen as one of the greatest Britons by BBC.


                                           Ten greatest Britons chosen

Politics, science and the arts are all represented

McCartney is out and Lennon is in while Diana, Princess Of Wales makes the grade but her former husband Prince Charles does not. The top 10 greatest Britons of all time have been chosen - selected from a BBC phone and internet poll involving more than 30,000 Britons.
Only three of the top 10 are from the 20th century - Lennon, Churchill and Princess Diana.
Three are scientists or engineers - Brunel, Darwin and Newton - and three are national leaders - Cromwell, Elizabeth I and Churchill.
    The full list is:
  • Isambard Kingdom Brunel
  • Winston Churchill
  • Oliver Cromwell
  • Charles Darwin
  • Diana, Princess of Wales
  • Queen Elizabeth I
  • John Lennon
  • Horatio Nelson
  • Isaac Newton
  • William Shakespeare
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/2341661.stm


Than I was thinking that one time I have to visit a museum. I was searching and finally happy to find the Ely Museum - but it was closed for renovation.




Ok, ok, ok, that was Ely. In the near is Newmarket. It's a famous centre of horse races and horse breeding.
I know this city because I red all detectiv stories from Dick Franzis (in german). He is an author from more than 40 books and all acting from horses and the most from Newmarket. He was the favourite author from the queen mum, Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon and I think she has an good taste.





Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon, the queen mum with family

After the fizzle with the museum I was a little bit frustrated, so I was searching for a pub. Thank goodness Newmarket is blessed with a pair of good traditionel ones.

Fish and Chips and a good pint and the frustration was over


Seats for the horsemen.


Memorial for the most famous inhabitant of Newmarket - a horse


That could be an alternativ to "The Bull", where I was


Or this? Which rich and manifold possibilities in this likeable little town!


Back in Cambridge. In the evening at around 9 o'clock pm. I was one time more in Cambridge City. Many students on the streets, a lot of young people, chinese people eating with sticks in the sushi-bars, the italien snack bar is full, buskers (Straßenmusiker) on the streets, a brawl (Schlägerei) with aggressive young men, cyclists in dark clothes without light on the bikes but in high speed, all this in the few, narrow streets - all this ingredients of a vital life in a city of students (m/w/d). I have enough from this kind of life after 3 days. I miss the children, the old people, the workers, the normal folks. I feel me better in the countryside or in a big city. Perhaps it's very easy: I'm too old for this. It's not my habitat any more.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen